Serbian Ministry of Education and Science
School of EE
Your browser does not support iframes.
Instructions: Select the types of places that you would like to see on the map, by pressing the appropriate buttons (e.g. press 'Show' next to 'Restaurants' if you want to see all the restaurants on the map). Click on a particular place in the right menu to jump to its description. Check the box above the description of a place if you would like to post it on the map. Click the button to print the map with selected places. To find an arbitrary address you can use PlanPlus.
Address: 49 Patrisa Lumumbe Street
Reservations: +381 11 2781 009
Restaurant "Dačo" is the number one Serbian national restaurant for Belgrade visitors. The authentic styling depicts various aspects of Serbian folklore and village lifestyle. It has a beautiful garden and a spacious interior, while the menu has all the musts of Serbian cooking. Start with a local appetizer and ask for a shot of rakija - you’ll be offered a wide selection, but we recommend you try quince, pear, plum (slivovitz), or honey. After that, definitely go for starters - the best way to go is to ask for their assorted starter for the given number of persons, and you will be served a variety of salads, spreads, dips, pies, and all sorts of Serbian delicacies - certainly including the renowned kajmak (pron. kaimak) and ajvar (pron. aivar). For the main course, we suggest you ask your waiter for tips - the choice is plentiful and selection can be difficult if you’re not familiar with the cuisine. Traditional desserts are served such as šnenokle, orasnice and various types of pies.
Address: 32 Skadarska Street
Reservations: +381 11 3234 885
Restaurant "Dva Jelena"
Taverna "Dva Jelena" (Two Deer) is situated in the heart Skadarlija and it is one of the ancient symbols of Belgrade. Proud of its 180 years of tradition, the inn is still a bohemian place which gathers all admirers of the spirit of the city of Belgrade, lovers of national cuisine and old wine. Founded in the distant 1832, "Dva Jelena" forms a small history of Belgrade, the guardians of tradition and the eternal attraction and a place revisited by all those who have once experienced the unique Bohemian atmosphere of Belgrade. You will enjoy the specialties of the traditional local cuisine, the pleasant ambience and the old music.
Address: 2-4 Karađorđeva Street
Reservations: +381 11 328 3749
The menu at the Iguana restaurant is short but absolutely delicious, and you won't make a mistake with any of their fish (sole is especially recommended), steak, or salads (their favorites are Thai salad and shrimp salad). The selection of wines is good, and there are several Australian sorts that are very good and surprisingly inexpensive. To top it all, the restaurant is famous for its desserts - their sticky date pudding, lemon and fig cheese cake and chocolate cake. This restaurant is located on the Sava river. It provides live Jazz music every night after 8PM.
Address: nn Mali Kalemegdan Street
Reservations: +381 11 328 30 11, +381 11 328 27 27
Restaurant "Kalemegdanska terasa"
Restaurant Kalemegdan Terrace is located in the most beautiful part of Belgrade, on Kalemegdan, completely blended in the surroundings of the 13th century fortress. If you are visiting Belgrade, Kalemegdan Terrace is a place where you can either start or finish your tour of the town. During the Turkish reign of the town, Kalemegdan separated the fortress from the town. The Turks called it "Fikir Bajir" meaning hill for thinking. Today, Kalemegdan Terrace is your best choice for taking pleasure in history and modern style.
Address: 7 Francuska Street
Reservations: +381 11 262 79 31, +381 11 218 7777
Restaurant "Klub književnika"
The place where over 60 years diplomats, writers, statesmen, politicians, actors and even "beauty queens" have entertained, argued and told funny stories, is more than just a restaurant, or as Momo Kapor, famous Serbian writer and painter, described it - it is a distinguished gastronomic and literary temple. The club restaurant - Writers' Club is founded in the middle of the last century in 1946. A decade later, Iva and Buda came in charge of the restaurant, while Buda stayed up to present date. In the beginning, the guests in the Club needed a membership card to visit it, so the talk in Belgrade was that membership in the Writers' Club was more important than in the Association of Writers. Many eminent persons from the country and abroad were once at Buda's place. The Italian novelist Alberto Moravia, the French writer Simon de Beauvoir and her friend, the writer and philosopher, Jean-Paul Sartre often came to Belgrade and spent the evening at the Writers' Club. While Richard Burton made the movie Sutjeska, he loved to come over for a whiskey at Buda's place. Kasu and Andrić ended their every gathering with a dinner in this restaurant. Needless to mention that the food is delicious, of traditional style.
Address: 9a Dositejeva Street
Reservations: +381 11 32 94 163
Restaurant "Little Bay"
If one uses price/quality as a benchmark for comparison, "Little Bay" is definitely one of the best restaurants in Belgrade. It is a part of famous British restaurant chain and provides unique meals coupled with really efficient services. Some of the most popular meals are fillet of sole and salmon but if you are really into fish - taste profiterole with seafood as you will smile after this tasty yet very cheap meal. If you like heavier food - the restaurant offers variety of extraordinary and unique tastes ranging from chicken liver and celery puree all the way to beef carpaccio and of course the specialty - lamb with eggplants and grilled vegetables. For desert there are many different options but we suggest you try white chocolate mousse with strawberry syrup. The prices range from 3-6 euro per meal - which makes it among the cheapest restaurants in the city of Belgrade. The location is great, just next to the National Theatre. The restaurant is decorated in the opera style, with heavy curtains, and royal-style furniture. Except of good food, another important mission of Little Bay is the promotion of classical music. Distinguished artists play classical pieces in the evenings, on certain days during the week.
Address: 30 Obilićev venac Street
Reservations: +381 11 30 36 200
In the very heart of the city, nearby Knez Mihailova street, in entirely authentic ambience, the restaurant Opera has been providing an extraordinary experience for its guests for six years.
Along with specialties of national, international and vegetarian cuisine, and current trends in cooking, goes chef's competency to prepare every meal in accordance with a special request of the guest's expectation pure gastronomic pleasure.
Enjoying great food is followed by a large selection of wine, and pleasant, casual atmosphere lures you to drop in for coffee or lunch with family or friends, after an all-day shopping or a Sunday walk.
With the first spring sun rays, guests may enjoy themselves in comfortable garden crowned with greenery and will be protected from sudden rainstorms by an awning.
Interesting interior is enriched with pieces of antique furniture and walls are painted with scenes of Roman Pompeii. Discrete music makes the restaurant atmosphere even more enjoyable.
Address: 53 Kej oslobođenja Street
Reservations: +381 11 2618 235, +381 69 2618 235
More than a century ago, a fisherman named Vićentije Vukotić, opened a café in the basement of his house. Shortly afterwards, the café became well-known for its delicious fish soup, whose traditional recipe is still used. This lovely house, just off the right riverbank of the Danube, wins over people by its charming architecture, and from the beginning, the most famous persons and celebrities from all walks of life, have gathered here; for fishermen, it has been the first stop on return from their boats, with arms full of fresh fish. That is what “The Carp” is proud of even today. “Šaran” restaurant wins over its customers by its warm atmosphere, excellent cuisine, friendly staff and prime selection of premium drink list. There are massive pieces of wooden furniture, the walls are designed in warm colours of the sun, interior materials reflect the colours of the beautiful Danube, and uniqueness and symbolism of the small details, are fascinating. The restaurant is thought of first and foremost for its cuisine, which makes “Šaran” a first-class catering service in town. Traditional Serbian music is played by bands in the evenings.
Address: Ušće (pronunciation-Ushche)
Reservations: +381 11 311 7444, +381 63 108 3147
Restaurant "Stara koliba" (Old Cottage)
The specialty of the "Stara koliba" restaurant is fresh and salt-water fish, prepared according to both the traditional recipes and the modern culinary techniques. The wine selection is the top notch, featuring domestic and foreign wines, each made to go with the food choices on the menu. The restaurant is designed in a rustic style and it is located near the Confluence of the rivers Sava and Danube. It has a special ambiance being close to the city center while giving the feeling of the wilderness at the same time. Traditional Serbian music is played by bands in the evenings.
Address: 29 Skadarska Street
Reservations: +381 11 3247 501
Restaurant "Tri šešira"
Three Hats is a real pearl among the restaurants in Skadarlija. It is built in the heart of Skadarska street in the well known ambient that exists for over 150 years. It started working in 1864 in the building that was a craftsman shop before, whose logo was three tin hats. That’s how the restaurant got its name. The restaurant is known, even abroad, by its service and quality. It had the honor to serve the most eminent domestic and foreign personalities: His majesty Juan Carlos, George Bush, Will Brant and others. The certificate for that can be found in the restaurants guest book. The restaurant has the "Quality mark of the Belgrade Chamber". Traditional Serbian music is played by bands in the evenings.
Address: nn Kej oslobođenja Street
Reservations: +381 11 319 12 26, +381 62 232 320
Houseboat Žabar is a family restaurant boasting 11 years of tradition. It's located on the most beautiful part of the Zemun bank of the river Danube, near Grand Casino. The experienced cooks of restaurant Žabar follow the international trends of food preparation and serving, and they are especially proud of their successful promotion of modern Serbian cuisine.
Address: 6 Kralja Petra Street
Reservations: +381 11 2635 421
Restaurant "Znak pitanja"
The restaurant Question Mark is the oldest restaurant in Belgrade, built in 1823 as a property of Knez Miloš Obrenović, gifted to Naum Ičko, his commercial consul. It was constructed by the Greek builders in the Balkan style. In 1826, on the ground floor of this building, Ećim-Toma Kostić, the son-in-law of Naum Ičko and a famous healer from the Second Serbian Insurrection (he cured Knez Miloš, too), opened a cafe called "Ećim-Tomina". Since 1878, when it was sold by the successors, it has changed its owners and names. In the end, the owner has put up just a question mark, which has remained until today. Vuk Karadžić (famous philologist who standardized Serbian alphabet) used to come to this restaurant in 1830-1831. In 1834 it had the first billiards table in Belgrade, and in the same year, it became the first reading-room of "Srpske Novine" (Serbian Newspaper).
Restaurants in Skadarlija
Skadarlija has the reputation of an art colony and a spiritual oasis in the city. This part of Belgrade was built in the first half of the XIX century. Skadarlija is famous as a bohemian quarter, and one of the few parts of town that has managed to preserve the spirit of old times and authenticity. People like Borislav Stanković spent a part of their lives here and many dawns were welcomed at the restaurant tables by writers like Jovan Jovanović Zmaj, Janko Veselinović, Milovan Glisić, Radoje Domanović and many others. In this way, many works of literature were created. Besides writers, the urban bohemians included many actors, directors, theater managers, champions of opera and ballet and Skadarlija was the place where they all traditionally celebrated theatre successes and analyzed failures.
Once an island that has been turned into a peninsula, Ada Ciganlija lies not far from the mouth of the Sava river, only 4km from the city center. Covered by thick deciduous forest, and speckled with clearings and meadows, Ada is now the largest, most beautiful and preferred outing area, beach and leisure spot of Belgrade. During the summer, nearly 300.000 come here to swim or engage in other recreational activities.
The wildest parts of Ada are covered with uncultivated vegetation, which obstructs passing through it but, on the other hand, challenges the exploring passions and adventurous spirits on this peninsula. Ada Ciganlija abounds in animal world, whereby the most numerous are the communities of birds, particularly wild ducks and lapwing gulls, but also pheasants and eddish hens.
On Ada Ciganlija there are also over 50 different open-air sports grounds, among which there are a golf course and a lift for water-skiing. There are the soccer playing field, tennis, team-handball, volleyball, and basketball courts, as well as fields for baseball, rugby, and field hockey. There are also playing grounds for beach volleyball and aqua soccer and, and for the extreme sports: banji jump, artificial rock wall, and paintball. For anglers, there is also the lake Ada safari.
Avala tower is a broadcasting tower that covers Belgrade and a wide area around it with the radio and TV signals. It's situated on the mountain Avala on the outskirts of the city. The building is quite unique and visitors are allowed to enter and get to the top by an elevator. On a clear day the view is breathtaking. Avala tower was destroyed in 1999 when Serbia was bombed, but it was rebuilt in 2008 as a landmark of Belgrade.
Address: Aerodrom "Nikola Tesla", Surčin
Reservations: +381 11 2670 992, +381 11 3104 749
The Belgrade Aviation Museum
Visitors approaching the Nikola Tesla Airport are invariably attracted by the large glass-encased round structure that looks like a strange mushroom from outer space that has sprouted in the middle of Srem's cultivated fields. Numerous military and civilian aircraft surround the mushroom - along with radars and other wonders of aviation technology - clearly indicating to visitors that they have arrived at an The Belgrade Aviation Museum.
At the very entrance to the main exhibition level, visitors come across an antique aircraft that was built in 1909 and early 1910 by aviation pioneer and Subotica native Ivan Šarić.
The Nieuport biplane that Serbian pilots flew during the Thessalonica Front military operations (1916-1918) draws a good bit of attention; a series of German, English and Russian training and reconnaissance aircraft testify to the development of aviation technology in the period between the two World Wars.
Experts, however, believe the Museum collection's most valuable items are an array of fighter planes and fighter-bombers, including specimens of the German Messerschmitt ME-109, the English Hurricane and Spitfire, the Russian Yakovlev Yak-3 and Ilyushin Il-2 and the American B-47 Thunderbolt. To these should be added the German Focke-Wulf 190 and the Russian Yak-9P, and then there's the Italian Fiat G.50 fighter plane, the only one of its kind in the world - all of which are held in the Museum's storerooms...
Address: 58 Bulevar Zorana Đinđića Street
Reservations: +381 11 220 2222
Belgrade Arena is an indoor arena located in Belgrade, Serbia. It is designed as a universal hall for sport, cultural events and other programs. With a total space that covers 48,000 square metres, and an official total capacity of 19,982 seats (for handball, volleyball, basketball and other events), it is among the largest indoor arenas in Europe. Maximum capacity can be up to 20.000 - 25.000, depending on the event being held. Its cost was estimated at 70 million euros.
The first event held in the Belgrade Arena was a Socialist Party of Serbia and Yugoslav Left final election campaign rally, held September 20, 2000 before the 2000 elections in Yugoslavia. The construction of the Arena wasn't finished at that time. The official opening came nearly four years later, July 31, 2004, when the FIBA Diamond Ball basketball tournament was held.
One of the biggest events to take place in the Arena was the Eurovision Song Contest 2008. In the final night of the contest an audience of over 20,000 was present. Other big events held in the Arena include numerous sporting events, notably the European championships in basketball (EuroBasket 2005), volleyball (2005 Men's European Volleyball Championship), table tennis (2007 European Table Tennis Championships), and judo (2007 European Judo Championships). The Belgrade Arena was also one of the 69 venues to take part in the 2009 Summer Universiade Games, hosting the opening and closing ceremonies, as well as the basketball competition. Arena was the host venue for the concerts of the most significant artists of Serbia and former Yugoslavia, as well as major international stars, including 50 Cent, Anahi, Backstreet Boys, Andrea Bocelli, Nick Cave, The Chemical Brothers, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood, Joe Cocker, Leonard Cohen, Phil Collins, The Cult, Bob Dylan, Guano Apes, Guns N' Roses, Il Divo, Iron Maiden, Jean Michel Jarre, Tom Jones, Judas Priest, Alicia Keys, Mark Knopfler, Lenny Kravitz, Massive Attack, The Pussycat Dolls, Queen + Paul Rodgers, Eros Ramazzotti, Rammstein, Chris Rea, RBD, Rihanna, Simple Minds, Shakira, Slash, Sting, ZZ Top and many others. The Arena also hosted the second Green Fest music festival with performances by Franz Ferdinand, Cypress Hill and The Raveonettes and many other concerts, political rallies, product exhibitions and numerous other events.
Address: 8 Mali Kalemegdan Street
Reservations: +381 11 26 245 26
The Belgrade Zoo was founded in 1936. It was founded by the mayor, industrialist, Mr. Vlada Ilic. It was opened on Petrovdan - July 12th. The first residents of the zoo were: lions, leopards, polar and dark bear, wolves, makaki and mangabei monkeys, antelopes, buffalos, zebus, deer, roes, storks, cranes, peacocks, pheasants, owls, pelicans and parrots. Soon after the opening, the Belgrade Zoo became one of the most popular places for the Belgraders to come to. When formed, the Zoo was located on a bit more than 3,5 ha and very soon on 7. The Belgrade Zoo is open all 365 days per year. In the winter period the box office is open 08-17h and in the summer period 08-20h. The Zoo closes 30 minutes after the closing of the box office.
Church of Saint Sava
The largest Orthodox church in the Balkans, and one of the largest in the world is the church dedicated to Saint Sava, founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church and an important figure in medieval Serbia. The church was built at the location where, according to legend, the remains of the first Serbian archbishop Sava were moved from the Mileševa monastery as ordered by Sinan-pasha in 1594. Construction began in 1935, based on designs by the architects Bogdan Nestorović and Aleksandar Deroko. Construction was halted due to the outbreak of World War II and the bombing of Belgrade, followed by the time of the communist Yugoslavia and thus the church had to wait for better times. Construction was resumed at last in 1985. The interior height of the church, from the floor to the top of its dome, is 65 meters, while the outside height with the cross is 79 meters. The church has three choir galleries with capacity for 700 choir members each, as well as an observation gallery. The ground floor and galleries of the church can house 10,000 people.
Church of St. Marko
The Church of the Holy Apostle and Evangelist Mark - St. Mark's Church is located in the Belgrade's downtown, in the Tašmajdan park. It is one of the largest churches in Serbia. This Christian place of worship has existed continuously from at least the nineteenth century. The original St. Mark's Church, built in the days of Petar Jovanović (1833-1859) and Prince Miloš Obrenović (1835-1836), stood in almost the same location, just slightly south of the present building. At a time when Turkish troops were still quartered in the city and the present-day Orthodox Cathedral (Saborna crkva), for example, was built of wood, this was a great spiritual event for Belgrade. From the very beginning of the church's existence, as early as 1838, it was the burial place of Prince Milan Obrenović, the oldest son of Prince Miloš Obrenović, who rested "to the right of its west doors and the dust of the late Bishop of Šabac, Gavrilo (Popović), who rests to the left of the west doors in the church itself". After the bloody dynastic overthrow in May 1903, the royal couple, King Alexander Obrenović I and Queen Draga Obrenović, were buried in this church.
In about 1870, St. Mark's Church had two parishes, that of Terazije with 312 homes and Palilula with 318 homes. During World War I the Austrian conquerors restored the church in 1917. The original church existed until the beginning of World War II. During the German bombing on Palm Sunday, April 13, 1941, the church caught fire and the damage was so extensive that its remains were completely removed in 1942.
Because of the rapid growth of the city and the increase in the number of residents, it became necessary by the beginning of the twentieth century to build a bigger church in the Belgrade quarter of Palilula. Frequent wars did not allow this until 1930 when a pair of Belgrade architects, the brothers Petar and Branko Krstić, both professors of the Faculty of Architecture, designed the plans for the new St. Mark's Church. The present building of St. Mark's Church was built according to their drawings between 1931 and 1940. The eruption of World War II interrupted the full completion of the church. Only the construction work was finished. Divine service took place in the new church during the war and after it until November 14, 1948 in the adapted narthex of the church.
Congregational church was built in 1837-1840 by order of Knez Miloš Obrenović, according to the design and plans of A. F. Kverfeld, a builder from Pančevo. It is built in style of classicism with late baroque elements. The church is dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. The interior is richly decorated. The gold-plated carved iconostasis was made by the sculptor Dimitrije Petrović, while the icons on the iconostasis, thrones, choirs and pulpits, as well as those on the walls and arches were painted by Dimitrije Avramović, one of the most distinguished Serbian painters of the XIX century. The special value of the church is its treasury with the relics of the Serbian saints Czar Uroš and Despot Steva Štiljanović, as well as of the heads of the Church and Serbian rulers of the Obrenović dynasty (Miloš, Mihailo and Milan). Two famous men of the Serbian culture stand in front of the main portal: Dositej Obradović and Vuk Stefanović Karadžić.
Address: 13 Studentski trg Street
Reservations: +381 11 3281 888, +381 11 2629 951
Ethnographic Museum exists for more than a century as an important ethnological institution studying in details the traditional culture. The fund of Ethnographic museum contains more than 160 000 items and it is structured to present the pattern of both the traditional rural and the urban culture of the Balkans. The fund is divided into a number of collections, whose organization is such that they cannot be viewed separately, but only as a part of the overall traditional culture. Ethnographic museum is a significant cultural centre in Belgrade where something is always on: exhibitions, scientific gatherings, book presentations, concerts...
Gardoš is located in Belgrade's municipality of Zemun. Located on the slopes of the hill of the same name, with its tower and preserved old architecture, Gardoš is the major historical landmark of Zemun. The major attraction in the neighborhood is The Tower of Janos Hunyadi or the Millennium Tower. It was built and officially opened on August 20, 1896 to celebrate a thousand years of Hungarian settlement in the Pannonian plain. The tower was built on the ruins of the medieval fortress on the Gardoš hill which barely survived today (only angular towers and parts of the defending wall). The tower was built as a combination of various styles, mostly influenced by the Roman elements. It is located on the hill with the beautiful view of Belgrade.
House of Flowers
House of Flowers (Serbian: Kuća cveća) is the mausoleum of the leader of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito, who died on May 4, 1980. Josip Broz Tito was a Yugoslav revolutionary and statesman. Even though he has been criticized as an authoritarian, Tito was a popular public figure both in Yugoslavia and abroad, viewed as a unifying symbol for the nations of the Yugoslav federation. He gained international attention as the leader of the Non-Aligned Movement, working with Jawaharlal Nehru of India and Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt. He was a Secretary-General (later President) of the Communist Party of Yugoslavia (1939–80), and went on to lead the World War II Yugoslav guerrilla movement, the Yugoslav partisans (1941–45). After the war, he was the Prime Minister (1943–63) and later President (1953–80) of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (SFRY). From 1943 to his death in 1980, he held the rank of Marshal of Yugoslavia, serving as the supreme commander of the Yugoslav military, the Yugoslav People's Army (JNA). With a highly favourable reputation abroad in both Cold War blocks, Josip Broz Tito received some 98 foreign decorations, including the Legion of Honour and the Order of the Bath.
House of Flowers is a part of the Museum of Yugoslav History in Dedinje. It was internally called "flower shop" during Tito's life when it served as his auxiliary office with a covered garden. For almost a decade after the breakup of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, the entire complex was closed to the public and the military guards were permanently removed. However, today the site is open again to tourists and to the people who wish to pay their respects. Many guests, from all over the former Yugoslavia, visit especially on May 25 (Tito's official birthday) - the former Youth Day during socialistic times.
The Belgrade Fortress was built as a defensive structure on a ridge overlooking the confluence of the Sava and the Danube during the period from the 1st to the 18th century. Today, the fortress is a unique museum of the history of Belgrade. The complex comprises the Belgrade Fortress itself, divided into the Upper and Lower Towns (Gornji/Donji grad) and the Kalemegdan Park. Because of its exceptional strategic importance, a fortification - a Roman 'castrum' - was erected here at the end of the first century A.D., as a permanent military camp for the Fourth Flavian Legion. After being razed to the ground by the Goths and the Huns, the fortification was rebuilt in the first decades of the sixth century. Less than a century later it was demolished by the Avars and the Slavs. Around this fortification on the hill above the Sava and Danube confluence, the ancient settlement of Singidunum grew up, followed by the Slav settlement of Belgrade in the same place. The Belgrade Fortress has frequently been demolished and rebuilt. Under the rule of Despot Stefan Lazarević, Belgrade became the new capital of Serbia and was fortified by the addition of the extensive fortifications of the Upper and Lower Town. The Despot's palace was built in the old castle, and a military harbour was added on the Sava River. An advanced mediaeval city developed within the ramparts.
Today, Kalemegdan Park is the most beautiful and the biggest park in Belgrade, which is also the most important cultural and historical complex, in which the Belgrade Fortress stands high above the Sava and Danube confluence. Monuments to many famous cultural and public persons were erected in the park. Kalemegdan now includes the Military Museum, Cvijeta Zuzorić Art Pavilion, City Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments, Zoo, a children's amusement park, the large number of sport facilities, restaurants and so on.
Knez Mihailova Street
Knez Mihailova street is a pedestrian zone and shopping center - protected by law as one of the oldest and most valuable monumental complexes of the city, with a large number of representative buildings and urban houses built at the end of 1870s. It is thought that in, as early as, the Roman times there was the center of the Singidunum settlement. In this area, at the time of Turks, there were winding streets with gardens, drinking-fountains and mosques. In the middle of XIX century, there was a garden of Knez Aleksandar Karađorđević in the upper part of the street. After the adoption of the regulation plan of Belgrade in 1867, designed by Emilijan Josimović, the street has soon been built and gained its today's physionomy and content. The most influential and wealthiest families of the commercial and political society of Belgrade have come to live there. In 1870, the city authorities officially gave a name to this street - Ulica Kneza Mihaila.
The Building of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, 35 Knez Mihailova Street, was built in 1923-1924, by the plans of 1912 made by Dragutin Đorđević and Andra Stevanović, in style of academism with elements of secession. The building houses: the Library of the Academy, one of the richest in Belgrade; the Archive of the Academy with numerous materials about the history of Serbia; the Gallery of the Academy on the ground floor, with a special lecture hall, the bookstore and the antique shop.
Address: 51 Krunska Street
Reservations: +381 11 24 33 886
Museum "Nikola Tesla"
Museum "Nikola Tesla" is a unique institution of science and culture in Serbia and in the world. It is the only museum in the world which preserves the original and personal inheritance of Nikola Tesla. It possesses several exceptionally valuable collections. As the institution which preserves the most abundant collection of documents on life and work of Nikola Tesla, the museum plays a significant role in providing the information to the researchers of history of science, inventions and patent rights as well as for the environmental protection projects on the pollution-free energy sources.
Address: 1a Trg Republike Street
Reservations: +381 11 33 060 00
The National Museum is the largest and oldest museum in Serbia. It is located on the Republic Square. The museum was established on May 10, 1844. Since it was founded, its collections have over 400,000 objects including many foreign masterpieces. The National Museum building was declared a Monument of Culture of the Great Importance in 1979. The Museum has 34 archeological, numismatic, artistic and historical collections today.
Palace of Serbia
The Palace of Serbia is a governmental building located in Novi Beograd (New Belgrade). It was the former seat of the Federal Executive Council (Government) of Yugoslavia and it was previously known as the Federation Palace. The building currently houses six ministries of the Government of Serbia, with plans to eventually move the remainder after renovations. The building was constructed in the mixed stripped-down classicist (the main structure) and modernist (the glass domed great hall with the front entrance) architectural styles. Its H-shaped base covers an area of approximately 65,000 m², thus making it the largest building in Serbia by the area covered. It has 744 offices, about 30 m² each, 13 conference rooms, six salons, three large halls and two garages.
Today's building of the Patriarchate was built in 1934-1935 and designed by the architect Viktor Lukomski. The building has a square base, it is solid and has monumental forms. On the main facade, against the Congregational Church, an impressive portico stands out, with low columns and an arched portal above which is a sculpted coat of arms of the Serbian Patriarchate. On the top of this facade, in a niche, a mosaic composition represents St. John the Baptist. In the east part of the building, there is a chapel dedicated to St. Simeon. It contains a carved iconostasis, the work of Ohrid masters, bearing icons painted in 1935 by Vladimir Predojević. The library and museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church are in this building, too.
Republic Square (Freedom Square)
The Republic Square is one of the central town squares of Belgrade. It is the site of some of Belgrade's most recognizable public buildings, including the National Museum, the National Theatre and the famous statue of Prince Mihailo. The main town square, Republic Square is a rendezvous for young people before they move off to other entertainments. In fact people who are not very familiar with Belgrade usually use this square as a place to get their bearings. When anyone in Belgrade says they will “see you in the Square” (“Vidimo se na Trgu!”) this is the square they are referring to. The square as it is today was formed after the demolition of the Stambol Gate (1866) and the construction of the National Theatre building (1869). The Stambol Gate which was built by the Austrians at the beginning of the 18th century laid between the Monument to Prince Mihailo and the National Theatre. This was the largest and most beautiful gate at the time when the city was still encompassed by moat. The road to Constantinople (Istanbul) passed through the gate from which it derived its name. Today, the Republic Square is also called the Freedom Square because of many demonstrations that took place on it, during the Milošević's time.
The first design for the House of the National Representation was made by Konstantin A. Jovanović in 1891. At the open competition of 1901 for the building in the area near the Batal mosque, the winning work was that of Jovan Ilkić, which is, in fact, a variant of Jovanović's solution. The construction of the palace began in 1907, and the cornerstone was laid by King Petar I. During World War I, Ilkić has died in the concentration camp in Nežider, while the plans have been lost. In accordance with the completed parts of the building, the new plans have been made by Ilkić's son Pavle, while Nikolaj Krasnov has helped completion of the building, especially of the interior. The construction was not finished until 1936. It was designed in the manner of academic traditionalism, with rich interior (architectural and artistic) decoration, made by, at that time, most famous artists and craftsmen. In 1939, a monumental sculptural group made by the famous sculptor Toma Rosandić was placed in front of the main entrance. It was named "Igrali se konji vrani" (Black horses are playing).
Zemun quayside is located alongside the right bank of the Danube. The promenade itself (officially named Quay of Liberation) begins below the Gardoš hill, at the square of Veliki Trg and after 2,5 kilometers it continues into the municipality of Novi Beograd. One of the major roundabouts in Zemun is near the beginning of the promenade, with terminal bus stops for many public transportation bus lines (82, 85, 610, 611, 705). As the bank (and thus the quay too) follows the line of the nearby Great War Island, it is the beginning point of the pontoon bridge which seasonally connects the island with the mainland. Next to the quayside there are pedestrian paths and green areas used for recreation and commercial facilities including a large seasonal amusement park. One of the largest hotels in Belgrade, "Hotel Jugoslavija" is located in the neighborhood, but it has been closed since the NATO bombing of Serbia in 1999 when it was badly damaged. It was opened partially in 2007 as the largest casino in Belgrade. The Zemun Quaside is the location of many restaurants and clubs on barges, and it is one of the focal points of the vibrant Belgrade's nightlife.
Address: 5 Dobračina Street
Reservations: +381 11 3286 119
"Rakia bar" was opened June 17th, 2006. Mr. Branko Nešić, the originator of the idea to open the Bar, said: 'What set us opening "Rakia bar" is the fusion of our love for Belgrade and the Serbian tradition and our wish to present a characteristically Serbian product in a contemporary way.' The interior of the Bar is exceptionally cosy and comfortable and in a certain way it represents the fusion of the East and West, which has defined the history of Serbia and Belgrade for centuries. The entire concept of the interior as well as numerous details which are specially dainty and which borrow their sweetness and uniqueness to the atmosphere of Rakia bar are designed by Lena Nešić, an applied artist. The collection of her photographs on the subject of "rakija" (brandy) is exhibited in Rakia bar. Rakia bar is an excellent choice if you want to have a morning coffee or an aperitif before lunch, good talk with your friends in the afternoon, drink before going out in the evening or if you simply decide to spend an evening enjoying the pleasant atmosphere of the bar and sipping one of the brandies that they offer. However, organizers of this conference waive any responsibility for providing this information :)
Address: 1a Pariska Street
Reservations: +381 11 32 82 524
Situated under the Kalemegdan fortress, this club has sustained a reputation of one of the major party venues in Belgrade over almost two decades. It is built inside of the Kalemegdan Fortress in one of its chambers. Andergraound is open all year round, with a fabulous three level terrace in the summer. Famous international DJs regularly perform their sets in Anderground (Underground deliberately spelled according to the pronunciation according to the Serbian phonetic rule).
Address: 1 Mire Trailović Square
Reservations: +381 63 594 294
Bitef Art Cafe
It's been a whole decade since Bitef Art Cafe started mapping itself in Belgrade's nightlife, considering both clubbing and cultural activities. For this season they plan to use gained experience and bring you even more foreign guests, while organizing the best performances of Belgrade's finest live acts. During the past years, on Tuesdays, they discovered many talents on their karaoke night. On Thursdays, they will be holding special sessions with guided tasting of the premium Whiskeys and Wines. For the weekends they pick the best out of both worlds, live gigs and house parties.
Address: 73b Kej oslobođenja Street
Reservations: +381 11 2611 625
In 1993, restaurant Reka was founded, which in the following difficult years became an oasis for all of those who couldn’t forget the good Belgrade spirit: heartwarming friendship, good times with rock and roll, pop and evergreen music, welcoming guests with a rich menu, and the Belgrade spirit which meant hospitality to anyone with a good soul (and for others), depth, good will, openheartedness… Some of the great musicians and entertainers: bands La Luna, Balkan Express, Euroexpress, Happy Day, Libra... they are joined by Amarkord, a trio which during the day, on weekends, during lunch, plays romantic music from the 60s and 70s.
Address: 5 Studentski trg Street
Reservations: +381 11 263 50 73, +381 11 263 63 19
Concert hall "Kolarac"
Kolarac is the endowment od Ilija M. Kolarac in Belgrade's downtown. Ilija Milosavljević, better known as Kolarac, from the village Kolari near Smederevo, in his last will and testament bequeathed all his property to the Serbian people with the aim to establish the Literary Fund, and subsequently a fund for erecting a Serbian University. The Kolarac Foundation building was officially opened on October 19th 1932, while the first concert was held a little earlier, on February 4th. Kolarac comprises Lecture Center, Music Center, Center for Learning Foreign Languages, Publishing Center, Bookshop, Library and Art Gallery. It is located on Student Square ("Studentski trg").
Kolarac houses a concert hall which is utilized for classical music performances due to its exceptional acoustics. The following musicians, among many others, have performed at Kolarac: Prokofiev, Britten, Penderecki, Cortot, Rubinstein, Richter, Magaloff, Pogorelić, Watts, Arau, Michelengeli, Argerich, Sokolov, Bashrikov, Pletnev, Volodos, Kissin, Virsaladze, K. and M. Labeque, Leonskaya, Gilels, Ciccolini, Weissenberg, Afanasiev, Uninsky, Antremont, Lugansky, Kocsis, Gekic, Madzar, Serdar, Berezovsky, D. and I. Oistrach, Stern, Menuhin, Kogan, Scippo, Szeryng, Pshihoda, Kubelik, Rostal, Brodsky, Thibaud, Tretyakov, Kremer, Rachlin, Repin, Vengerov, Sitkovetsky, Bell, Milenković, Bashmet, Causse, Harrell, Navarra, Rostropovich, Maisky, Isserlis, Alva, Montand, Greko, Gutmann, Segovia, Larde, Berganza, Obrascova, B. Hendrix, Dimitrova, Ricciarelli, Hvorostovsky, Tabakov, Segerstam, Mehta, Von Karajan, Kondrashin, Abado, Svetlanov, Stokowski, Warchal, Theodorakis, Mandeal, Fournier, as well as the choirs Glinka, Obretenov, Westminster Choir, Vienna Boys Choir, and many chamber orchestras: London Chamber Orchestra, St. Martin in the Fields, 12 cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic, Slovakian Chamber Orchestra, Irish Chamber Orchestra, Moscow soloists, Kronos quartet and symphony orchestras amnog which were Berlin Philharmonic orchestra, St. Petersburg Philharmonic orchestra, Moscow Philharmonic, G. Enescu SO, London, RAI SO, ORTF SO, SO Mineapolis, NDR SO, Tokio Metropoliten SO, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra... In addition to the regular concert season the following events are held every year: The Belgrade Music Festival (BEMUS), The International Jeunesse musicale competition (MTMO), The International Review of Composers, The Guitar Art Festival, The Belgrade International Cello Festival, The International Poetry Evenings...
Address: 3 Francuska Street
Reservations: +381 11 2620 946, +381 11 3281 333
The National Theatre was built in 1869 according to the design of Aleksandar Bugarski, the most productive architect of Belgrade in the 19th century. The decision to construct a special building for the theatre was made by Knez Mihailo Obrenović. The building was a typical theatre building at the time and was particularly reminiscent of La Scala, Milan, with regard to its Renaissance conception and the decorative finish. Later, reconstructions completely changed the original appearance. The heavy reconstruction was made in 1986 when the theatre regained the 1922 look and an annex was built towards Braće Jugovića Street. Beside theatrical purposes, the hall has been used for charity balls and concerts during the 19th century. The Great Constitutional Assembly adopted the famous 1888 Constitution in this building.
Address: 9 Milentija Popovića Street
Reservations: +381 11 220 60 00
Sava Center is a modern center with a considerable reputation locally and internationally and more than three decades experience in organizing some of the largest international congresses and art conventions. To date Sava Center has hosted more than 8.000 local and international congresses and events with over 1.600.000 participants, and over 8.000 cultural events which were seen by more than 7.000.000 visitors. Sava Center has also hosted a number of large international congresses such as OSCE, World Bank-IMF Annual Meeting, UNESCO General Assembly, 9th Summit of the Non-Aligned Countries, EBRD General Meeting, other world congresses on mining, orthopedics, dentistry, surgery... and has been host to some of the greatest celebrities of the world art scene.
In line with its cultural and artistic mission statement, in the thirty years of its existence, the Sava Center has presented the work of the greatest and most important artists from Europe and all around the world. Sava Center is the organizer of the Summertime Jazz & Blues Festival, the World Music Festival and the Documentary Feature Film Festival. Significant production support was also provided for the following cultural and artistic events: FEST, BITEF, BEMUS, BELEF, Guitar Art Festival, Dance Festival, to name just a few. Many internationally acclaimed artists and ensembles have performed at the Sava Centre, including: Nigel Kennedy, Paco de Lucia, Julian Rahlin, Sting, José Careras, Henryk Szeryng, Miles Davis, Placido Domingo, Herbie Hancock, Toto Cutugno, Joan Baez, Lou Reed, Montserrat Caballe, Dizzy Gillespie, B. B. King, Buena Vista Social Club, The Blues Brothers Band, Madredeus, Gipsy Kings, Simple Minds, London Symphony Orchestra, The Moscow Philharmonics, The Boston Philharmonic Orchestra, Lord of The Dance, The Beijing Opera, The Bolshoi Theatre, Super-stars of the Russian Ballet, The Kyrov Ballet, St. Petersburg...
Cafes in Strahinjića Bana Street
With 20 cafes, Strahinjića Bana Street is, without a doubt, the most popular cafe-street in Belgrade, and tends to even become one of the landmarks of the city. Most cafes are located between street numbers 50 and 80, but there are some at the beginning of the street as well. These cafes are among the fanciest in the city, and nearly ninety percent of people here come to see and to be seen. Prices are not that high, though, as one would expect.
Address: 29 Terazije Street
Reservations: +381 11 3229 943
The history of the Terazije Theatre, the only musical theatre in the region, starts in 1949. It has changed its name several times, and in 1975-76 this theatre got its current name since it is located on the Terazije Square, one of focal points in Belgrade. The Theatre on Terazije has been enriching its drama for more than five decades, orchestra, ballet and choir ensembles with new, young talented, schooled, artists. It has always given a dynamic note of artistic freshness that was appealing to the audience. At the beginning, it was positioned as mostly popular and easy-comedy genre theatre, but with each season it ambitiously developed its repertoire and gained praise from the cultural public as a theatrical institution of high potential and relevant artistic achievements.
Address: 2 Prizrenska Street
Reservations: +381 11 363 6000
The conference will be held at the Hotel Balkan which is located in the heart of Belgrade. Hotel Balkan is a four star hotel that has been renovated a couple of years ago. It has nicely arranged rooms with a view of Terazije Square, and a pleasant restaurant where lunches will be provided. Hotel Balkan was very kind to offer a significant discount to IEEE HPSR 2012, and so, single standard rooms will be charged at the rate of 70 euros, single queen rooms at the rate 80 euros, and single comfort rooms at the rate of 90 euros. Price for an additional person in a queen or a comfort room is 10 euros. The room rates include buffet breakfast, insurance and all taxes. Internet access is free of charge. These rates are guaranteed until April 24, 2012. Please make reservations as soon as possible, because the number of rooms is limited.
Hotel Balkan is an oasis of peace and cosiness, placed amidst the boiling energy and tumultuous life of Belgrade center, daily visited by thousands of people, and is an ideal basis for businessmen as well as for leisure travellers.
It is in the vicinity of Knez Mihailova Street, a promenade where you can feel all the charm of Belgrade, and just a couple of steps from the Republic Square, near many theaters, museums and cinemas, as well as near Skadarlija, - old bohemian quarter. It is also near the building of Belgrade Parliament, the Economy Chamber of Serbia, the Economy Chamber of Belgrade, numerous ministries and other institutions, relevant for business people.
Address: 18 Balkanska Street
Reservations: +381 11 35 34 300
LifeDESIGN Hotel is a modern hotel only a few minutes’ walk from: a pedestrian zone, Knez Mihailova Street, the National Theater, the National Museum, the Terazije Drinking Fountain, the Parliament, the Old Palace, the Park of Kalemegdan and the beautiful Belgrade Fortress, Orthodox Cathedral, and Serbian Patriarchate, Old bohemian quarter, and the famous Skadarlija.
Guests can choose from variety of rooms and suites, distinguished by simplicity in form, inspired by the cosmopolitan spirit and needs of modern businessmen. The main characteristic of used styles is the subtle elegance, where simplicity reveals sophisticated details. Warm colors and esthetic diversity, a play of light and fragrances combined with a soothing ambience, will give you the relaxation you need and awake the enthusiasm and a desire to be surrounded by beautiful things and enjoy excellent service. The exclusively designed bathrooms offer beauty and functionality.
Address: 28 Obilićev venac Street
Reservations: +381 11 328 5777
Hotel Majestic is a four star hotel located in the very heart of Belgrade. Hotel was built in 1936/37 in a traditional style. Near the Hotel there are the most famous street Knez Mihailova, historical and cultural institutions, the majority of relevant business and governmental institutions, etc.
Hotel Majestic has a kind and professional staff, that provides security, safety and respect of ethical and professional codex of international hotel management (ISO 9001:2000 and HACCP).
Hotel Majestic has 88 comfortable rooms, including 7 very comfortable apartments. All rooms and apartments have bathrooms and are adjusted for the businessmen needs. They are equipped with nice stylistic furniture, direct telephone lines, cable TV, high speed Internet connections, air conditioning, mini-bar, etc. For the guests with higher needs Hotel Majestic offer is King Apartment, tastefully decorated and furnished with contemporary elegance.
Hotel Majestic offer is a perfect stay in a perfect room. The experienced hotel personnel offer discreet, competent service, and will assist at all requirements for business travellers.
Address: 20 Terazije Street
Reservations: +381 11 3642 069
Welcome to Hotel Moscow, a symbol of the hotel industry of Belgrade and Serbia for over a century. Built in 1906 at zero point of city center, at the Terazije Plateau, since that time it represented a historical and architectural decoration of Belgrade. Hotel is located at the very point where the pedestrian zone begins, and in the vicinity of the Republic Square, and cultural, city and state institutions, has numerous advantages for its guests. A traditionally high level of service, quality and comfort make the Hotel "Moscow" a favoured place of gathering for world of business, politicians, artists, tourists and citizens of Belgrade.
The hotel has 120 comfortable rooms and 6 luxurious apartments. Accommodation capacities have been completely adapted so as to reflect the time when the hotel was built, and technologically adjusted to the highest standards of the 21st century. From Terazije street, on the ground floor there is a coffee & pastry shop "Moscow" and a patisserie "Tchaikovsky", the places popular with lovers of good coffee and good tasting cakes. From this street there is an entrance to the "Arbat" restaurant, which is situated on the mezzanine floor. At the same location there are, as separate wholes, a banquette hall and a business reception salon. Using the entrance from Balkanska street, next to the reception desk on the right, guests may visit the Aperitif Bar, hairdresser's salon, and a souvenir shop located in the inside lobby. Bistro "Moscow" comes as a real refreshment in what this hotel offers. The entrance to the bistro is from Balkanska street, the hotel's garage and parking lot are under supervision of hotel personnel around the clock.
Address: 23 Topličin venac Street
Reservations: +381 11 218 5585
Hotel Palace is situated in the central part of Belgrade, 200m away from Knez Mihailova, the main shopping street, and near Kalemegdan - Belgrade's medieval fortress and park.
There is a wonderful view from the Belgrade Panorama restaurant onto the river Sava and its confluence with the Danube.
The hotel has 71 rooms and 15 suites (non-smoking rooms available), two restaurants, an aperitif bar, a banquet restaurant, a TV and Internet hall, a hair dresser, a tailor, an exchange office, a shop near the reception desk and a garage.
Our friendly staff are always at your disposal, and we pride ourselves on making our guests our regular visitors.